Monday, February 28, 2011

Scenery today, debate...maybe tomorrow

It was not to be, not this February, though we came close. On Saturday night it did not snow in Pasadena but it did snow in Burbank, enough accumulation to make a modest snowman. But once, within my lifetime, it did snow here.

January 11, 1949. Above, the reflecting pool at Pasadena Junior College/Pasadena High School. Below, Pasadena City Hall, which you may recognize from The Big Bang Theory and Parks and Recreation. Yes, that IS snow.


In a winter that has slapped much of the nation dizzy with sub-freezing days and record blizzards, Los Angeles had news crews at altitudes as low as 500 feet, waiting for the weakest flurry. And they came. I am honest about my lack of enthusiasm for what we call cold weather here. The term candy-ass pretty well describes the majority of us. Hey, residences are not insulated for 29-degree overnights, nor do many of the older homes or apartments have more than one room with a heating unit. I creak and wobble when chilled. Still...the view of our foothills and mountains, with at least a day of snowy peaks, delights us.


What I planned to write about today was the difference between reality and truth. This was my plan as I, yet again, pushed past the noise of my chattering mind to locate balance and quiet. While the internal debate feels significant and may be the source of equilibrium, it also felt like juggling cinder blocks and I was not in the mood. There are days when the words can outwait us (or outwit us). But don't think you've escaped, you weighty thoughts. I know where you hide and I can be very patient.

19 comments:

Teresa aka Tess said...

Oh I love that last picture. Snow covered mountains above a bright sunny day. Oh how I loved that scene when I loved on the west coast. We have had snow aplenty here in Kansas, more than usual. Even though I am used to it I am sone with it. Give me some sun, please send some sun my way.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Tess - Hmm, the packaging may be a bit of a challenge, but I'll do my best. I know I'd be a wreck without sun. Stand by.

Melissa Green said...

Lovely post, Marylinn, terrific photos, and just the right tone of voice--yeah, those weighty thoughts are squatting in their waiting to pounce--we we know they will--but today you outwitted and outfoxed them and wrote what you felt like writing about. Take charge, Marylinn. With grace, but with purpose and firmness.xo

Antares Cryptos said...

Love the juxtaposition of mountain snow and palm trees.

P.S. Human achievement and something to make you smile. Nudge. ;)

Kass said...

That last shot almost looks like the mountains I see from the valley here in Salt Lake City.

The difference between reality and truth - sounds interesting. I look forward to this post.

There is no truth in reality, only perception, but I hate writing this because it sounds too new agey.

Jayne said...

Oh, the best laid plans...
That last picture is quite a study in contrast. Beautiful photos.
I'll be back for reality/truth differences. I feel as if it's all subjective - and you can never know for sure. ;)

37paddington said...

hey, i know about not in the mood. there's so much to post about what is happening with my elderly aunt, but it feels like too much. maybe later.

i look forward to your insights about reality and truth however!

Sherry O'Keefe said...

speaking of weighty thoughts- my thank you for your blog has resulted in a blog award waiting for you at mine. don't feel as though you need to participate at all...i just wanted to pause for a moment and let you know how much your comments here and there add to the quality of my being.

Sultan said...

Pasadena is one of my favorite places. i have place envy!

Marylinn Kelly said...

RESPONSES TOMORROW...HAVE RUN OUT OF TIME AND FOCUS TODAY. XOXO

Marylinn Kelly said...

Melissa - Thank you. We do look good with a bit of snow. Having learned that I cannot do more than one thing at a time, the grudge match between truth and reality will have to wait a bit longer, but I'm sure it won't resolve itself. Not likely. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Antares Cryptos - Those rare snow-capped days are treasures. If we have another this winter, there is a north/south street that is all palms which would be a choice contrast. If I remember...

Email replies pending...who knows where the time goes?

Marylinn Kelly said...

Kass - It doesn't sound new-agey to me, since that is my basic premise. Sooner or later, I'll get to it. I'm not sure I knew your location until now (I try to pay attention). In earlier times, the smog in the LA basin was so bad, visitors in the summer who returned in the winter were shocked to learn we even had mountains. Now we can see them year round.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Jayne - What did we do before Google, just about any image we want without leaving our chair. The air is always sparkling after a storm, making the valley sort of shine against the mountain backdrop...everything looking its best.

The more peculiar our current version of "reality" becomes, the more I look for my version of truth. To be continued.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Angella - I hope I have insights that don't have to be stretched too thin. Sometimes I feel that hand gestures would help make a point and I don't know how to add those to a blog post.

There is always the chance that something we are not ready to speak of will resolve itself, lose its power. Or it may just be biding its time.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Sherry - Thank you so much. And I have to say your writing and photos always make me (a) very glad I visited and (b) see things a bit differently. I appreciate the award and your kind words and happily accept them.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Laoch - There is a good bit to envy, for the town's character has not changed that much over the years. And we definitely look our best when the air is freshly washed. I am fortunate to call this place home.

Elizabeth said...

Wow! We live in the same part of the world! And I am a "candy ass" too.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Elizabeth - Some of us were not intended for those bitter winters. Candy asses, unite. Good to see you here, thanks for commenting.