Thursday, March 10, 2011

In good company

Sending my thanks to fellow blog writer,  poet and Soundzine poetry editor, Sherry O'Keefe, for presenting me with a Stylish Blogger Award. As I remember, it was late last spring when I hopscotched my way to Sherry's Too Much August, Not Enough Snow, via friend Donna B.

At Too Much August...I found words and photos that captured a sense of place, gave greater meaning to small joys and significant events. They reminded me of how our ordinary, mechanical-world lives exist within the larger context of nature.

By accepting the award - yes, happily, thank you - one agrees to link to the presenter's blog, list seven things that might not be generally known about the recipient, and select five other bloggers for acknowledgment. Luckily, there is precedent for bending the rules.

Another of Sherry's awardees is Kerry O'Gorman, whose example I will follow regarding the next Stylish Bloggers. Meanwhile, here are seven things.

1. I will never grow tired of red.
2. The Mariana Trench, deepest part of the ocean, fascinates and disturbs me, as do bodies of water referred to as "bottomless."
3. I once lost a shoe to quicksand.
4. Wind blowing through the tops of pine trees may be my favorite sound in nature.
5. Experience has not discouraged me; I believe in true love.
6. When my mind is too unfocused to write, I can still draw.
7. Awakening suddenly from a dream feels like returning from somewhere else.

As to the naming of five blogging favorites, it is impossible to choose. Each one of you that I read enriches my life, stretches the horizon and makes me want to write as well as I possibly can. I think of you, your families, your meals, your passions during the day and you've begun to appear in my dreams. In finding your pages, I feel that I stumbled into a meeting of some ancient, sacred order, one I didn't know I was seeking but recognized upon each first reading.

All of us who circulate among each other's sites have become, to me, a community, participants in a movement of not just self-expression but a larger commitment whose meaning we are only beginning to know. Speaking our truths, pulling back the curtains, makes me feel almost courageous, offers a steadiness that can only come from being fully who we are. Stylish, yes, you are, and so much more.

20 comments:

Sultan said...

When I was a boy their many stories in fiction abut quicksand but it sadly seems to have gone out of style these days

Antares Cryptos said...

Congratulations, Marylinn, much deserved.

I relate to 2,4,6 and 7. Most grateful that quicksand only took a shoe.

"whose meaning...", yes, it feels that way.:)

melissashook said...

I can't remember who was telling me about quicksand recently, sand of various sizes in water that's over a hard surface that won't absorb it....and then there's bog quicksand...quite frightening, but nothing I've seen, only read about...
congrats
and thanks..

Lisa H said...

The best part of this post for me is your acknowledgment of finding your Tribe. There really isn't much in life better than THAT, is there?
Everything else emanates from that "Ground Zero"...love, security, inspiration, family, friends, etc etc etc.
Raising my wine glass to you. Oh LOOK! there's my Tribal logo etched on the wineglass and it's the same as yours!

Elisabeth said...

Congratulations to you too, Marylinn for your award and so well deserved.

37paddington said...

"In finding your pages, I feel that I stumbled into a meeting of some ancient, sacred order, one I didn't know I was seeking but recognized upon each first reading."

oh yes.

thank you.

Kass said...

Congratulations. I love your blog. Your words are always meaningful.

Antares Cryptos said...

Marylinn, I hope friends and family are alright.

Antares Cryptos said...

Relieved to hear that you and yours are as alright as can be, under the tragic circumstances.

I put up a post in response, not sure if it answers any questions, but science and knowledge somehow comfort me.

susan t. landry said...

i envision your walk down a dense and fragrant moss carpet through murmuring pines to accept the award!
we, in our gowns of mist and golden sun, applaud you!

Marylinn Kelly said...

I am, as you can see, very behind in replies and will try and have collected my thoughts by tomorrow. Your words are so appreciated. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Laoch - Stories and movies...the tossing of the rope. It was a very long time ago but that sort of thing stays with you. Now we fight demons or self-aware, mechanical monsters.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Antares Cryptos - Thank you. As if to reinforce our Item 2 thoughts, the recent ocean disquiet. Stepping away from the human face of the quake, the thought of a whirlpool draining into a crack in the ocean floor...

So much to learn on so many fronts.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Melissa - Thank you. It was sandy and marshy and deceptively ordinary looking, to anyone not paying attention. We claim our odd moments where we find them.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Lisa - I love that we have a tribal logo...we can display it while wearing our "I'm With the Band" buttons. Without our tribe, which miraculously grows, I can't think where we would be.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Elisabeth - Thank you and same back to you. I found inspiration in your gracious response.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Angella - Thank you. It is as though we have been moving toward one another over time and distance...technology finally allowed us all to meet.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Kass - Thank you and I return the compliment. My gift threads back to you.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Antares Cryptos - There is, if not comfort, at least reassurance in a geological continuum.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Susan - What a magical ceremony, one which would have the approval of Druidic antecedents. Thank you for such a rapturous description.