Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Keep swimming

Ken Lee, thank you for the sky I couldn't capture.

Having just (recently) gone on and on about Los Angeles and its irregular cold, mentioning the wintery sky, etc., etc., the sun set last night in blazing stripes that suggested paradise, right here at home.  Unable to leap out and snap my own photo, the art I found on-line is an exact color match.

Every day, possibly every moment if I thought quickly enough, I could find reminders of why, in spite of how relentlessly it labors, despair does not win.  Because there are poets, because roses bloom, because my son assures me he would know if I had been turned into a pod person overnight and would run, were that the case.

Because the contents of Frida Kahlo's undiscovered closet are considered art and a window into her unique being.


Because Tom Waits says the clouds are like headlines on a new front page sky. 



14 comments:

PlacentiaGirl said...

Thanks for the Frida video. I'll get there someday...

RachelVB said...

ah, thank you. This was a beautiful lift to my spirit. xoxo

Kerry O'Gorman said...

I think Tom Waits is a guru of wordsmiths!

Marylinn Kelly said...

Elaine - I liked the way the curator did not settle for obvious answers. I can imagine how moving the exhibit must be. You'll get there, I have no doubt. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Rachel - I am so glad. I keep going back to the Ram Dass quote: We're all just walking each other home. Gets me every time and tells me - beauty, beauty, beauty. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Kerry - He SO is, and that voice. This version of "Shiver..." gave me goosebumps. Probably any of them would. xo

Radish King said...

Beautiful sky.
xor

Marylinn Kelly said...

Rebecca - It was one of those gifts - or swift kicks in the pants - that can snap me out of states that don't serve me well. I could watch the sky all day, even empty and seemingly bland, as though wisdom resided there in invisible ink. And Tom Waits - my heart's in the wind. Love to you. xo

beth coyote said...

Frida and Tom in one blog post. Thank you.

I love Ricky Lee Jones' covering Tom's' Rainbow Sleeves.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Beth - You are welcome. They make a fine pair, do they not? And thank you for the Ricky Lee referral. She used to sing "Chuck E's in Love" on our jukebox in another life. xo

Hilari said...

Wow! That Frida exhibit must be so powerful in person. Thanks for posting it!

Marylinn Kelly said...

Hilari - To see the curator so moved gives us just a hint about the exhibit's power. So much may be told by our residue, what we leave behind. xo

Kass said...

"Our residue,"
your words,
your beauty,
heartfelt.
transcendent.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Kass - Thank you, and for reading my words back to me. Sometimes they are so easily lost or forgotten. In an alternative reality, I would be tattooed with them, head to toe, to hold as many as close as I could. Since we are, or so I believe, channels, they can pass through so quickly all we can do is let them flow, seldom caught. xo