Friday, April 18, 2014

Puddles and sky, some of Gloria's favorite things

Photo credit here.
Photo credit here.
Gloria wondered what people did who didn't daydream.  Where did they take their minds for rest, other than sleep, to step away from elbows on the sidewalk, sardine conditions on the subway, tedium at their desks or simply too much, for the moment, of everything that wasn't quiet.  She lived a life that looked close to perfect and it was a pleasing existence, one in which she made her own choices, kept a schedule that she set, breathed the scent of the sea and fresh air, had days that never wanted for beauty.  Even in the almost-perfect, one needed to slip outside the tent.  We can be, she thought, truants in our own minds and no one would ever know.

Puddles and tide pools knew her name, just as though she were one of the fairies who perched on their edges, letting them mirror on unruffled surfaces what ordinary sight often failed to detect.  She found the reflection of sky in a puddle, especially with fast-moving clouds revealing expanses of blue, to be a small miracle.  Tea in a teaspoon, lifted to the lips for a temperature reading, seeing into or beyond the tiny, fragrant pond, asking questions of your own eyes.

Back to as young an age as she could remember, Gloria loved in equal measure puddles and clouds after a rain.  The summer squall that lingered beyond forecasters' expectations made her want to squeal with glee.  Instead, to maintain her disguise as a grown-up while at work, she bustled.  Every movement was quickened and exaggerated with what could be called flair, like a dancer's hands.  She was already borne along by the wind that stirred the curtains, could feel herself grow light, lighter.  All concerns scattered, everything open to the air, unencumbered.  Wind is the best broom, she told herself, no cobweb can withstand it. 

8 comments:

Erin in Morro Bay said...

Yes, interesting that even in a life that's almost perfection, sometimes one still needs to slip away, to day dream, to find a puddle to reflect in. And nothing like a good stiff sea breeze to clear out any remaining cobwebs.
Erin

Marylinn Kelly said...

Erin - My son was telling me of an article a friend forwarded about medication being developed or perhaps already in use to stop children from daydreaming. All I could think of was, why not just deprive them of oxygen and be done with it? Which jumped to Gloria's idyllic life and how essential the time to daydream is, certainly for me and I assume others of my species. And that sublime and stiff sea breeze. Ahhhh. xo

Melissa Green said...

I love this dreamy and reflective episode. Wind IS the best broom, of course, Marylinn. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

And then I read your exchange with Erin--and screamed. A medication to do away with daydreaming? Good God Almighty. What kind of a world would think that was devoutly to be wished? Every time I think I've heard every awful idea the heart can bear, something else appears to weigh it down. Do away with daydreaming. Yes. Oxygen should be next.
xoxo

Claire Beynon said...

An exquisite reflection, as always, dear Marylinn. I love the way your tender vignettes of Gloria and her life are also self-portraits of the ever-expanding, self-accepting, self-loving you. You are fine role models for those of us fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of your grace and wisdoms. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Melissa - For me, I mean Gloria, there is nothing quite like a blustery day, being carried along like a kite amid cloud forms and reflecting waters. As to what parts of our own minds we are allowed to preserve and hold sacred, I do fear for all of us, for what has been and will be lost forever, of what will never become. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Claire - Thank you, Claire, and for seeing the unexpected about myself that Gloria reveals to me. Being chosen to tell a story is as great an honor as I can imagine. xo

RachelVB said...

Beautiful, Marylinn. Reminds me to notice the smaller things. I love your wind image. I've always hated the wind, I find it manly and forceful, like it rustles up all the aggressive particles in the world, but I like how you see it. It does clear out the dust. xoxo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Rachel - Thank you. There is wind and there is wind. We can have that aggressive, muscling kind that tears things apart but also, most afternoons even not by the sea, the swaying, murmuring, sweeping kind. xo