Monday, June 16, 2014

Word of the Week - 15

Word of the Week:  ENSORCELLED
Artist Gianni de Conno.
Artist Rebecca Dautremer.
At the top of my food pyramid sits beauty, sometimes known by the name color.  I am no longer sure what is the pointy part, what is the flat part, are grains good or out of favor?  What I know is that I am nourished by, sustained by and captivated by beauty as I define it.

As with others who know enchantment, I am pulled away from useful tasks, necessary maintenance of ordinary life, by images that speak to me.  I blame the internet, I blame my own curiosity about tracking things down, I especially blame Pinterest.  Yet in the same breath I thank all those for access to wonders I could not possibly have known, if these seemingly magic connections did not exist.

They tell us at World Wide Word that we are not likely to find "ensorcelled" in our daily newspaper, that it is a word more often chosen for poetry, literature or sword-and-sorcery fantasies.  It is descriptive, ensorcelled, not a passive act but one of intention and power.  Beauty in all its forms refuses to leave us napping.  It has come to feed our hungry hearts, nurse wan souls back to health, lift us from lethargy and gloom, banish indifference.  Take as many helpings a day as you can manage.  Beauty, you sorceress, abundant, underrated resource, calls and suggests we may as well hide our watches, stop our clocks.  Beneath her radiance, time becomes meaningless

4 comments:

Patti Edmon Artist said...

Wow - great word!! A new one for me :) xoxo

Melissa Green said...

Sigh, Marylinn. Just 'Sigh'. xoxo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Patti - It was love at first sight for me. A great word indeed. Wear it and be wonderful. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Melissa - And so we sigh in unison. I can think of no other thrall under which I would rather be, for love and beauty seem so surgically connected as to be inseparable. xo