Monday, January 16, 2017

Word of the Week - 150

D&G 2014.
Word of the Week:  SUNSHINE

While I often label color as a nutrient, I know beyond doubt that sunshine actually is.  A vitamin D deficiency smartens one up rather quickly to the fact that a human body needs the light of the sun.  In my world that leaves color the task of being sunshine for the spirit.

It is not alone in its assignment, for I corral it with its fellows, including beauty by multiple definitions, swiftly running rivers, things that smell wonderful, the love of and for friends and family, silliness, kindness, insight and intelligence, artfully arranged words.   Oh, such a long list.  For the spirit to be underfed requires cataclysm of epic proportions.

I have long believed that any garment ought to have pockets and to be without them is a failure of aesthetics and duty.  In those pockets one can keep and transport the necessary charms, talismans, symbols of spiritual sunshine, available like smelling salts when weariness gains the upper hand.

We have never truly known where the next step of our journey will take us.  That we don't know today only suggests there may be additional reasons for gathering to us more closely that which brightens and enlivens, that which lifts our hearts.  Vitality fuels our imaginations, empowers and strengthens.  The world needs us, needs our spirits, inspired, nourished, hopeful and strong.   The world needs, we need, our sunshine. 

4 comments:

Melissa Green said...

POCKETS! Of course that's why my life is so awry today! A lovely long list, Marylinn, of things that work as 'sunshine' for the spirit, of which all are marvelously true, marvelously magic. I'm going to gather up all of those items, find a garment with a pocket, and wear them as close to my heart today as I can. This week is going to be a tough one, piled upon the other tough ones we've had of late. The world needs my spirit to be bright, kind, alert, awake, involved, determined, feisty and fierce--thank you. I know my assignment now! xoxo

Claire Beynon said...

Yes to pockets. Yes to sunshine, in all its expressions. Yes to keeping our spirits vitalized so as to brighten the world's dark corners.

Thank you, Marylinn. As Melissa suggests, you keep us on track and on task. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Melissa - Thank you. Yes, pockets. How do we think we can function without them? The world needs your spirit, our spirits. We need each other, warm and alight. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Claire - Thank you. The words I find help remind me. This is a faltering business when we drift away from familiar icons, sources of strength. xo