Friday, December 21, 2012

Two Bobs and a bit of fringe

A little holiday fringe to distract you from all the other things on your list.  If you are not familiar with what is called lucid dreaming, here is an introduction.  I am not the least offended if you find this unlikely at best and deranged, delusional at worst.  As a friend once said, "Time is long and space is big."  There is room for more than we can ever imagine in the multiple universes of the cosmos.

In what I will call a lucid dream night before last, I found my ideal self:  young enough to be entirely mobile, without depression or depletion, possessing a certain appeal and knowing everything that I know now.  She exists somewhere as the continuum flexes, hidden in a sharp crease of the cosmic fabric.  I marvel at the way in which our minds can bring along misery and its twin handmaidens, cortisol and adrenalin, or allow us to appear in fully realized fantasies, knowing we are dreaming, yet gamely playing along to see how it all turns out.  I picture my mind cooking up a treat on its little hotplate, using its one well-seasoned, cast iron skillet and holding it out for approval, like Ratso Rizzo saying, "G'head.  I want you to have it."



Dylan says it, "The human mind can only stand so much."  For escape, even illumination.  We dream.

Keep moving, even just to shift your shadow.  Keep singing along.  Stay out of places that steal your spirit and know there are rooms where you dance and laugh and know it will all, somehow, be all right.

6 comments:

Kass said...

Stay out of places that steal your spirit...

Wonderful. I now feel it will be all right.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Kass - Hello and how wonderful to see your name and face here again. Thank you. As strong as we are, we are, at the same time, so vulnerable and need to remember how gently we must be cared for. And right now, it seems that TV news will steal our spirits quicker than any identified dark magic. We will find the way through. xoxo

Elizabeth said...

I love the whole concept of lucid dreaming and would say that I've had the experience, but I haven't -- not, yet. I have found much strength in The Tibetan Book of Dying --

Antares Cryptos said...

Saw your comment and replied.

"Youth is wasted on the young."
"The journey is the destination" come to mind. I'll add "For escape, even illumination, we dream" to those words of wisdom.

Wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and yours.



Marylinn Kelly said...

Elizabeth - It that The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying? I have not read it and just looked on Amazon. Different than The Tibetan Book of the Dead, yes? I cannot swear it was lucid dreaming, but began while awake as a bit of fantasy, continued when I fell asleep yet I knew it to be a dream before I woke up...these have been trippy times. I took it as a gift and was thankful. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Antares - Thank you. There is so much for us to find - to integrate, perhaps - in our waking and sleeping dreams. In my interpretation of experiences, it feels as though there is a different plane upon which dreams are enacted, a place where they are real, real enough. And in return, a very Merry Christmas and year of blessings to many to count to you and yours, every one. xo