Monday, November 23, 2015

Word of the Week - 90

Pete, the fastest one-man band.
Word of the Week:  VERSATILE

No matter how small the acreage of our fiefdom, we are required to be, among other things, the chief financial officer, social director, tech guy, scheduling secretary, chef, animal wrangler, medical intuitive, boundary-setting parent and guru.  And that is if we are only answerable to and responsible for ourselves.  Increase the population and the list of jobs we must fill balloons to the size of a lesser moon.  We tend to forget that we do, in fact, do it all.

On newspapers in the old days a reporter who took his or her own photos was called a combo man, a title I can claim for the occasional feature I sought out on a whim, no time to schedule a photographer.  Nothing quite like a bright Saturday morning, a classified ads list of garage sales and my husband's Pentax on its rainbow strap around my neck.  We have all worn many hats.

What necessary life positions do you fill on a daily or less frequent basis?  What is required of you, or do you require of yourself, to keep the wheels turning?  Imagine the length of our CVs as we might apply to be the captains of our own fates, if we did not already claim those titles.

2 comments:

Kass said...

Oh yes, Marylinn, I like to try on all the hats too. Some, out of necessity, others, just for fun. It's like the Frank Sinatra song,
"...I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate,
A poet, a pawn and a king,
I've been up and down and over and out,
And I know one thing,
Each time I find myself flat on my face,
I pick myself up and get back in the race."

Marylinn Kelly said...

Kass - I was thinking the other day of jobs I've had, varied, interesting for the most part. One reporter friend, before he landed newspaper work was, his words, "night man at a mortuary." Happy to have given that one a miss. Still interested in pirate and king and a number of other possibilities. Try them on for size. xo