Thursday, December 16, 2010

Henry finds a friend



Henry and his mom continue their visitations at Cedars/Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. The were invited to the hospital's recent Christmas party, which included a blessing of the animals. I imagine that all are blessed on a regular basis by those they encounter. Still, this was intentional and festive.

The new photo of Henry, above, gives a better indication of his regal size. He is a big boy. He is also not known to cozy up to unfamiliar dogs. The cats in his home life consider him one of them.

So it was with great pleasure and considerable surprise that his mom sent me photos and the announcement that Henry had found a friend at the party. His new pal is Toby, also a volunteer visitor and, clearly, about the size of Henry's head.

Picture this pair trotting into your room, feel mirth displace any worry you've been carrying. I haven't heard if they will making calls together but the simple thought of it has brightened my day.

What better than a new friend for Christmas?

13 comments:

Kass said...

Oh yes, this would have to soften the hardest heart.

Anonymous said...

I have always dreamt of having a hospital visit dog - however the one I was blessed with just curls a lip at strangers...

Very glad the animals got in on the blessing..

Radish King said...

Oh my goodness I'm in love.
xo

Robert the Skeptic said...

A relative is an administrator of a nursing home; he used to bring his dog, Laddie, a beautiful collie, to the home with him every day. The residents loved Laddie, he was so good natured and made everyone feel so good.

Claire Beynon said...

Aaah ; )

Marylinn Kelly said...

Kass - And, lucky me, I just got to watch a video of Henry being lured into the car - to go to the hospital, which he loves - with a ham sandwich. Our laughter probably had the neighbors thinking we'd lost our minds. On the tape we could also hear Henry and him mom hearing that he'd been requested in the pediatric unit. It is just the best thing ever.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Denise - It is a tradition here in Los Angeles, a large blessing of the animals near where the city began. Quite an event to witness or take part in. It strikes me that Cedars knows very well what a resource they have in these volunteers. Hound, I know, has his assets. We are not all cut out to be healers.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Laoch - Thank you. When we start the fan club, I will let everyone know!

Marylinn Kelly said...

Rebecca - I will be sure Henry and his mom read your love note...with a copy to Toby. Thanks. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Robert - It seems remarkable, the amount of comfort and love the animals impart and do it so naturally, so effortlessly. It has me thinking of St. Francis...I wonder who first realized the healing power they bring.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Claire - Yes, we can all sigh with relief, with something close to contentment, knowing these experts have matters well in hand. xo

Artist and Geek said...

:). Sigh. :)

Marylinn Kelly said...

Artist and Geek - If we pay attention, it is possible to be happy so easily, isn't it? :)