Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election day but no politics

“Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love.”
Rainer Maria Rilke


I will not pretend that this election day has me light of heart and quiet of mind.  I wish to take nothing for granted.  Which may be why my words refuse to dance smoothly with each other, they seem to be glaring and rolling their eyes as the time comes for them to step out on the floor together and touch.  Why did my mother sign me up for this stupid Cotillion, each wonders.  Why would I ever need to know the waltz or how to be gracious when approached (or not approached) as the music begins?

With that knowledge, I am happy to yield to Rilke, mentioned by other bloggers recently - it may be his season.  It is surely the season of needing answers or perspective I may not always have, and not necessarily related to the election.  These are questioning times.  If asked, I would say that I wish to be understood, yet know that is not within my power.  I gesticulate, sputter, sigh and move on, hoping I left something other than confusion in my wake.

Therefore, dear Sir, love your solitude and try to sing out with the pain it causes you. For those who are near you are far away... and this shows that the space around you is beginning to grow vast.... be happy about your growth, in which of course you can't take anyone with you, and be gentle with those who stay behind; be confident and calm in front of them and don't torment them with your doubts and don't frighten them with your faith or joy, which they wouldn't be able to comprehend. Seek out some simple and true feeling of what you have in common with them, which doesn't necessarily have to alter when you yourself change again and again; when you see them, love life in a form that is not your own and be indulgent toward those who are growing old, who are afraid of the aloneness that you trust.... and don't expect any understanding; but believe in a love that is being stored up for you like an inheritance, and have faith that in this love there is a strength and a blessing so large that you can travel as far as you wish without having to step outside it.
Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet 

 

6 comments:

37paddington said...

thank you for this today.

beth coyote said...

Yes, on election day Rilke reminds us of the brevity of it all, whether we're afraid or not.

Pax.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Angella - You're welcome. As we know, I write what I need to read, hoping there will be a fit with others. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Beth - And keeping our wits amidst the sound and fury. One can only wonder about the cost in energy and dollars. Or one can go to Rilke and be calm. xo

RachelVB said...

And isn't that how we get over fear? Brilliant man, he was.
Thanks for this.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Rachel - Brilliant, so much inner wisdom, soul guidance. Imagine having him write to you? My inclination is to go after fear with a sharp instrument or burrow under the covers. Hasn't worked that well so far. xo