Monday, December 8, 2014

Word of the Week - 40

All art today is the work of Australian Cate Edwards.  The link shows her work much larger than it can be displayed here.
Word of the Week:  TONIC

The art of Cate Edwards revives me, it puts back together parts that have gone asunder.  In her color, lines, shapes, patterns, figures, faces and wordless stories I regroup and find the world as I wish it to be.  There are precarious rides, curious submergings and what appears to be considerable wild abandon, in the best, most life-affirming sense.

In the world away from images that support my soul, I find these to be dark and troubling times.  It may be that times are always dark and troubling.  What I know is my energy and a version of sanity are better served by stepping back from public debate.  I choose not to express outrage through social media.  I prefer to bring light of a sort.  As a friend wisely wrote a day or so ago, art will not save us but it may cushion the fall.  Art gives us everything it has, whether we create it or observe.  Ghandi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world."  Right now, this is the way I can practice such advice.
I would love to be one of Cate Edwards' humans, to inhabit a flowered bowl, pose with my swimsuit-clad sisters near a pool or the sea, commune with other Earth creatures, continually surprised by the circumstance in which we find ourselves.  Her work proves to me the connection between eyes and heart for as I scan her leaves and flowers, ornaments, marks and groupings, I have a physiological response, a quickened pulse, accompanied by a sense of longing.  I want this to be our world.


6 comments:

paula best said...

this is a great post! i adore her work too! happy holidays to you marylinn.....

Marylinn Kelly said...

Paula - Thank you. Wishing you the happiest of holidays, too. I cannot look at her work too much. xo

Elizabeth said...

Wonderful stuff, as usual! How in the world do you find all of these sites so filled with remarkable art? I am in awe of your curating skills!

Marylinn Kelly said...

Elizabeth - Thank you. It is a case of one thing leads to another in the happiest of ways. It also is a case of having time to fritter and pursue and enjoying the hunt. The real world does not insist on my attention in as many forms as it once did. I am so glad you enjoy the finds. They delight me. xo

Melissa Green said...

Yes, I want this to be our world too, Marylinn--and it IS our world--the world that is full of screams, sirens, terrible headlines, fear-mongering and the shakes exists simultaneously, but it is not enduring--art is what lasts, art is what nourishes us, gives us hope and courage. Today, looking out from a chilly East Elba, I thought of our talk--here, where art is Queen, we are young, our hearts are elastic, and there never is an hour without joyful laughter, color in abundance, pattern and delight from every corner of the world and every other time in history. Courage, Camille. All will be well, all manner of things will be well. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Melissa - And so it is. Thus I toss my frailties into the wheelbarrow and roll it and them to my station. Here we abide, beneath the fairy lights, the swoops and festoons, rococo ceilings and open sky. With time and enough duct tape, all manner of things will be well. xo