Saturday, May 30, 2015

Stuck on you

Since I became a rubber stamp, shall we say enthusiast, I have tried to create rubber stamped stickers. At first it was a labor-intensive process of stamping and coloring images on adhesive-back paper, then cutting them out with tiny scissors that caused my thumb and index finger to go numb. For a time I'd found a photocopy shop that could print on sticker paper (this was in the early 1990s) but the cutting-out was still by hand, an almost zen-like activity which I enjoyed regardless of discomfort.  Once I had stamp designs of my own, the wish for stickers of those images seemed to hover just out of reach.  And now, a wish fulfilled.

MOO Online Printing offers booklets of 90 stickers - and you can upload 90 different designs, think of it - each sticker just less than an inch square for $9.99.  Kristen Powers, owner of RubberMoon, shared a week or so ago about ordering new business cards AND STICKERS from MOO, which was all the information I required.  I uploaded nine designs.  The booklet arrived today
New stamp images, which I have been designing at an embarrassingly slow pace, now shriek to be real so they can become real stickers.  I never dreamed it would be so accessible, so easy.  There might have been a clue last year when I ordered a collection of postcards from vistaprint, which also does a quick and satisfying job of turning digital photos into bright and glossy postcards.  However, the sticker booklet, reminiscent of a vintage post office product, is all glee and gladness.  At such a reasonable price for custom printing, all manner of things could become stickers: leetle (to borrow a word from a Seattle writer friend) photo portraits, the plate of fish tacos with handmade tortillas, the bowl of jap chae produced one evening without a kitchen light, roses, red shoes, doll faces, a divine antique button.  When I finally get my notebook/planner up to speed, I can make lists in it of all potential sticker fodder, and then stick the stickers in it.  A circular process which makes me a bit woozy, but only in the very best way.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

God, I love MOO. They make my writing "business" cards and my baking "business" cards. The stickers are darling -- I want some!

Marylinn Kelly said...

Elizabeth - I have their mini-cards as writing-illustration-blog-calling cards and yes, I love them. I love having things printed and the stickers are grand. Photos of cakes, meals, sunsets? They will make you smile. xo

Melissa Green said...

Yippee! Oh, what fun was had by all. I can just see you, Marylinn, doing the Happy Dance, over these darling stickers, so easy, so fun, so wonderfully packaged. Think how easy it will be to go from brain to fingers to MOO to voila!! xoxoxo

michelle ward said...

Yay for new stamps and double yay for stickers!

Marylinn Kelly said...

Melissa - Very happy, indeed. No waiting for some Big Company to come along and want to license designs. Hah! I can still hold onto that dream. But reality no longer hinges upon it. What we can do for ourselves now is staggering. Voila! xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Michelle - Thank you and yes, big double yay! xo