Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Extreme Parenting Video Project

On her Friday, August 31 blog Elizabeth Aquino posted the result of The Extreme Parenting Video Project.   The greatest gift a blog gives its author is the chance to share what is meaningful with whomever has happened by or chosen to be a follower.  I keep myself cheered along this journey by sometimes showing the work of artists whose sensibilities nourish mine.  We are not separate from what we create, yet there are some who model a seamless flow of living that is especially vivid.  Elizabeth is one of them.

"Published on Aug 30, 2012 by
Families of children and young adults with disabilities were asked what they might have told themselves on the day their child was diagnosed. This is what they said.

"Thanks to Patty Griffin for the beautiful song 'Heavenly Days.'"

8 comments:

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Superb! (accent on 'super!)

susan t. landry said...

thank you, thank you, marylinn, for reminding us of this. i assume elizabeth will read your tribute, too; i hope so--since i missed her post on her blog.
what a smart and straight-forward project, qualities we have come to know as synonymous with elizabeth aquino. what strikes me, reading these messages, is how unfailingly appropriate they are for any parenting, which -- of course -- is meant in no way to diminish the whole other otherness of having a child with disabilities.
the life lesson that hit closest to home, for me:
Don't let your world get too small.
xoxo to all of you, who expand my world ...
susan

Marylinn Kelly said...

Kelly - I agree. Thanks for commenting. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Susan - It is a remarkably eloquent statement and not diminished at all by having resonance for any parent. What a gift, these blogs, expanding us all. xo

michelle ward said...

What a beautiful piece to share Marylinn. Thank you. Pass the tissues. I laughed, I cried, I nodded in agreement. My statement: it is a privilege to be this boy's parent. He enriches our lives beyond measure. But I'm afraid of the future, so embrace today.

XO

Elizabeth said...

Wow. I hardly know what to say and am so honored that you'd write such kind words, Marylinn and share our video. Thank you!

And thank you, susan t. landry for your kind words and to everyone for watching and listening!

Marylinn Kelly said...

Michelle - In any circumstance, today is all we have. Moments when I wish for some assurance of only good outcomes are, I know, moments of now that I've lost. Today's good is what we get to know. Love to Sam, to all of you. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Elizabeth - You're so welcome. I am happy to add to your supporters, perhaps help widen the audience for the wise and loving words from these parents. Further shares on FB are bringing very moving responses. The circle grows. xo